Join us on Thursday 17th August for next Unboxed ‘Faster than Lightning’ session - our informal meetup where developers present and share small snippets of code or workflow tips for discussion.
Date: Thursday 17th August 2017
Time: 18:30 - 20:00 (pizza, beer and chat from 18:30, with talks starting at 19:00)
Location: Unboxed offices, 17 Blossom Street, London, E1 6PL
What is ‘Faster than Lightning’?
This is a series of very short and informal talks (around three minutes each), based around snippets of code or workflow tips that you have found interesting, or a tip about something that makes your life easier as a developer. Each talk is then followed by a casual chat within a friendly group.
Here’s Faster than Lightning in action:
A bit more about submissions:
- Code snippets can be your code or someone else’s, in any programming language, and can be anonymised
- A workflow tip may take the form of a UI screenshot or terminal command of an app or tool that you use. It may even be something that irritates you and you’d like to hear about how other developers approach it
- There is no such thing as a snippet or tip that is too simple or too basic - you’ll be among a friendly bunch of developers of all different experience levels and specialisms
- Your snippet can be something that you thought was good or something that you think could be improved (or something you’re having trouble with and you would like help with)
- The order of submissions is random and we’ll keep having presenters until we run out or 8pm, whichever is sooner
Previous snippets have included:
- A Rails view partial
- An RSpec file
- C code with function pointers
- A puppet server configuration file
- A single line of Ruby code in IRB
… and many more. More detailed examples can be seen in the blog posts of past events:
How do I take part?
Taking part is simple:
- Register for your place
- Submit snippets of code or a slide before the meetup to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Chat about your slide to the room for around 3+ minutes on the big screen
- Open this up to group discussion
- Sit back, drink beer, eat pizza, and enjoy the other submissions and chats