From creating new applications and minimum viable products to developing and scaling already-existing systems, Unboxed has over 12 years of experience in designing, building, delivering and supporting end-to-end Ruby on Rails applications.
We provide multidisciplinary agile teams of developers, designers, Scrum Masters and digital experts to move your digital ideas forward. We collaborate with you to identify and prioritise the biggest and most valuable opportunities for your organisation.
Why Ruby on Rails?
Ruby on Rails is directly at the heart of some of the most successful digital products and services, providing a responsive framework to deliver robust and dynamic applications.
- Ruby on Rails enables rapid application development to deliver more features in less time, allowing you to speedily release a minimum viable product (MVP) and reach the market place.
- The framework is secure by default, allowing you to concentrate on what matters the most to your business.
- As open source software, Ruby on Rails is supported by a large community (including our CTO and Rails Core Member, Andrew White). The community produces and shares reusable components (called Gems), and contributes back to open source.
- Common structure and coding practices produce high quality and easy-to-maintain web applications.
- Ruby on Rails' emphasis on RESTful application design makes them seamless to integrate with other software and applications via APIs (Application Programming Interfaces).
- Ruby on Rails is a scalable framework, accommodating for increasing numbers of users as your audiences grows.
Ruby on Rails is the language and framework of choice for a number of organisations, including Government Digital Service, AirBnB, Groupon, Shopify, Carwow, Trainline and many more.
We deliver digital products and services through a combination of Agile, Lean Startup and Design Thinking approaches. Continuous learning and adapting to change is central to all of these approaches and plays a key role in guiding our self-organising teams. We work in short improvement cycles, continuously making, testing, and learning in order to respond to customer and business needs.
Our development approach
From day one, we blend the lines between being an external Unboxed team and an internal customer team to form one single embedded team:
- Co-locating with your team onsite for the duration of a project
- Embedding core skills through close working and knowledge transfer
- Agile ways of working — daily standup, regular planning and retrospectives, show and tell sessions with the core and wider team
Unboxed were part of the team we were used to working with, I didn't feel like we were customers. The mentality was: 'We want to build great products together.'
David Bright, Head of Product Management, Naturejobs
What does this look like?
Minimum viable product
Work with our agile teams to rapidly deliver an end-to-end Ruby on Rails application, providing early value to your users.
Scaling your Ruby on Rails application and rolling out further features and increased functionality.
Providing ongoing DevOps and maintenance support for your application.
Upgrading older applications to Rails 5, unlocking new features and security improvements.
Reviewing your current code base to assess code quality, identify any bugs and pave the way forward.
Providing technical support for your application, both during office hours and 24/7.
Our Ruby on Rails work
Unboxed leads Agile rebuild of Plymouth University website
Exploring the impact of online publishing with Bookmetrix
Public sector collaboration with GDS to relaunch Petitions platform for UK citizens
Powerful offshore partnership creates 47% increase in bookings for Contiki Holidays
Recruitment site revitalisation for major scientific publishing group
Redevelopment of Channel5.com attracts more users, driving revenue
What we do in the community
Rails Core contribution
Andrew, our CTO, is one of 12 Rails Core Members and the only member in the UK
London Ruby User Group
Murray, one of our senior developers, co-organises the monthly LRUG meetup
Starting from small ideas, we mentor across a variety of incubators and accelerators
An Unboxed project team
We provide experienced multidisciplinary agile teams to embed and work alongside you and your internal team.
An example Unboxed team that we can provide consists of:
- 2 x Ruby on Rails developers
- 1 x Designer
- 1 x Scrum Master
An Unboxed project team
From startups through to large corporates, we work to deliver great digital products and services with all types of organisations.
If you have a project that you would like to talk to us about and explore further, please do book a meeting or call to discuss further.Book a meeting
Who we work with
We managed a complete service redesign and rebuild, changed hosting provider, gained security accreditation, and launched the UK's new Petitions service - all in just 10 weeks.
Pete Herlihy, Product Owner — Government Digital Service