As broadband becomes ubiquitous and 88% of the UK population is regularly online, citizens are asking councils to explore digital services – and registering their disappointment with what is currently available.
The previous initiative to digitalise council services, Implementing Electronic Government, made many services available online – but did little to generate actual civic engagement or citizen digital engagement.
Now, the pace is picking up. There are 600+ services in most local governments which could and ultimately will be taken online as digital services. From parking fines to dog licenses, the scope is enormous.
What to read
- Help for local government deciding exactly what to digitalise
- Read the GDS Service Manual
- Keep up to date with GDS on Twitter
- Explore Unboxed Consulting’s approach to saving 10% in local government budgets through digitalising civic services
How to get started digitalising one or more of the 600 local government services
- Read the Government Digital Service complete guide to creating a digital product in government
- Book a discovery workshop with Unboxed Consulting
- Sign up for our monthly newsletter for people developing digital products in Agile.