Principal Developer (with DevOps)
Salary £90K plus, depending on experience
About the role
We are looking for a developer with significant Ruby on Rails and AWS experience, who wants to work hands-on on a variety of interesting applications and projects, work in cross functional agile teams with designers, mentor less experienced developers and under-represented groups and contribute to the open source community.
The ideal candidate will have at least 10 years Ruby on Rails experience and significant AWS experience.
Unboxed offers a people oriented, flexible and warm culture, with a wide breadth of projects ranging from building applications like the UK Petitions site through to helping local councils track housing repairs more effectively.
We believe in openness and transparency, collaboration, continuous improvement and promoting health relationships.
As someone with ‘principal’ experience, we’d be looking for you to join us and collaboratively shape our growth over the coming years, help build our DevOps as well as development capability and help shape our support team.
Unboxed Consulting is a service design and digital product development agency. We form small multidisciplinary teams of talented people to collaborate with our customers to realise their digital ambitions.
We believe in putting our customers' best interests ahead of our own. We are constantly striving to deliver the best solutions, using the best processes and the best technology. We want to ensure that we have the most talented people that we can find.
As a part of the Unboxed team, principal developers are responsible for helping shape the company strategy, drive strategic initiatives, empower, coach and grow our team as well as taking a lead hands-on role in the successful delivery of our projects and working as part of our support team.
Often this means working as a core member of one of our multidisciplinary project teams and depending on the project nature can include:
- Helping our customers understand what their user needs actually are;
- Prototyping alternative solutions to identify the right thing for us to build;
- Building scalable, sustainable and innovative systems based on what we've learnt in the project so far.
Principal developers are responsible for the technical architecture and build process. When building production systems, our coding is meticulous and the test coverage extensive, ensuring the highest level of quality in our digital products.
Our people are comfortable in the commitments they make, talk and laugh a lot and thrive on delivering simple architectural solutions to complex challenges.
- Leading by example with industry thought leadership and empowering the same in our team
- Coaching and growing the Unboxed development team
- Help define company strategy and take the lead on appropriate initiatives
- Drive growth of AWS support team and help grow our client base
- Architect, develop and maintain complex Ruby and Rails applications
- Work with our clients, designers, other developers, delivery managers and sometimes testers, to plan and ship projects.
- Identify areas of risk and complexity during the planning process.
- Communicate continually with the team on progress of stories.
- Turn wireframes and designs into functional applications.
- Advocate better practices.
- Write and maintain integration and unit test suites.
- Ruby and Ruby on Rails
- SQL (preferably MySQL or PostgreSQL)
- HTML and CSS
Highly desirable skills
- Strong OO design skills
- Experience working in an agile environment in cross-functional teams
- Open source contributions
- Experience setting up and maintaining UNIX systems
- A keen eye for detail
- Understanding of continuous integration and delivery
"Joining Unboxed was the best thing I could have done for myself as a developer. It’s a learning-focused culture where you are encouraged to continuously improve in a supportive environment alongside talented and kind people. I also appreciate the innovation days and personal conference budget, which are a sign of the company’s commitment to fostering new ideas and creativity within the development team."
Rhian Lewis, Developer
Send us your CV
Vicky is our people person. If this role sounds of interest to you, she would love to hear from you.
Send your CV through to Vicky at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
From there, she'll be in touch. Good luck! (Sorry, no recruiters please — we do all our hiring in-house).