Salary range: £80k+
We are looking for a Development Lead with significant team leadership and Ruby on Rails experience, who loves working with people to create digital products and services that have a positive impact on the world.
You will be working with our development team to:
- Support their personal development
- Enhance capability and capacity
- Ensure consistency in development practices
- Promote our technical offering
- Contribute to our technical strategy
You will also be part of multi-disciplinary project teams to:
- Help our customers understand their technical landscape
- Prototype and test innovative solutions
- Build and maintain scalable and sustainable digital products
We're growing Unboxed. We want new team members who are interested in more than coding. We want people who add to our community leadership, mentor our people, and increase our diversity.
Some key activities within this role
- Coaching and mentoring developers
- Leading strategic initiatives
- Presenting at conferences and pitches
- Creating and supporting complex Ruby on Rails applications
- Providing technical input to sales proposals
- Working closely with our Design Lead
Some of the things we're looking for
These are the skills and experience that we would like to see. Don't worry if you don't have them all; there is room for you to grow too:
- Range of technical expertise (e.g., Ruby on Rails, AWS, TDD/BDD, Git, SQL, HTML, and CSS)
- Contributions to open source projects
- Passion for user-centred design and agile delivery
- Experience of providing servant leadership
- Good communication skills (e.g., openness, active listening, clarity)
- Curiosity and a desire to learn new things
- Interest in business and strategic thinking
Benefits of working with us
- 25 holiday days per year, on top of the bank holiday allowance
- 10 "Innovation Days" per year to explore your own ideas
- Holiday flexibility and loyalty bonus benefits
- Maternity and Shared Parental Leave policies
- A company-wide peer-to-peer mentoring programme
- A generous conference budget
- Salary reviews twice a year
- Flexible working hours and location
- An informal culture of growth
- Monthly "Linkers and Thinkers" idea-exploring lunches
- Weekly reflection at "Whines & Cheers", our Friday company retrospective
- A 'Bike To Work' scheme
Send us your CV and, if we think you will make a good team member, we will get you to complete a short coding exercise. This gives you the opportunity to showcase your approach to solving problems and for us to see your code on a clean build project.
Following this is a face-to-face pairing session with one of our developers, where we will talk over the choices you have made in your solution and get to know you a little better.
Finally, you'll be invited for an interview with a representative Unboxed team, including the Design Lead, a developer, and one of the company directors.
"Joining Unboxed was the best thing I could have done for myself as a developer. It’s a learning-focused culture where you are encouraged to continuously improve in a supportive environment alongside talented and kind people. I also appreciate the innovation days and personal conference budget, which are a sign of the company’s commitment to fostering new ideas and creativity within the development team."
Rhian Lewis, Developer
Send us your CV
Vicky is our people person. If this role sounds of interest to you, she would love to hear from you.
Send your CV through to Vicky at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
From there, she'll be in touch. Good luck! (Sorry, no recruiters please — we do all our hiring in-house).