Chief Commercial Officer
Unboxed has a long history of delivering meaningful digital products and we want to maximise the positive impact we have on the world over the coming decade.
We’re looking for someone to join the team, to help us grow, and to create commercial opportunities in the sectors that matter most for the world and humankind, including clean energy, health and wellbeing, education, housing, climate and the environment.
We have a diverse and highly skilled team of designers and developers, working on a range of projects, such as: helping councils manage housing repairs, reducing unnecessary appointments for NHS patients and creating online petition services for government.
We’d love to talk to you if you have valuable experience in a similar role in a similar context, perhaps where you’ve been through the process of growing an agency and learnt valuable lessons on the way.
The ideal candidate may have previously led on multiple business development strategies to increase revenues and company head-count, grown and led a successful sales and marketing team, and implemented processes and activity to deliver that strategy.
We’re committed to further increasing diversity within Unboxed’s leadership and recognise that not everyone will have had the same opportunity to gain relevant experience. We therefore welcome applications from those who may have felt excluded from such a role in the past, whether due to gender, ethnicity, visible or invisible disability, neurodivergence, education, or family/care commitments.
Outcomes of the role
- A surplus of valuable opportunities to work on impactful projects with new and existing customers who are aligned with our vision and values
- A growing, motivated, cohesive, and skilled sales and marketing team with good processes and clear success metrics
- A diverse range of products and services delivered either through the agency/consultancy model, in partnership with other organisations or as standalone businesses
- Working with the company leadership to devise a business development strategy and appropriate goals that will guide sales and marketing activity and increase revenues
- Developing a highly-skilled and motivated sales and marketing team through effective recruitment and leadership, to support planned company growth
- Researching relevant industries, monitoring competition activity and gathering customer feedback to inform the ongoing refinement of Unboxed’s product and service offering
- Creating strong relationships with potential and existing customers to ensure that Unboxed is proactive and well positioned to take any opportunities for new business
- Leading on the selection, preparation and presentation of all bids and proposals to ensure we have the best chance of winning appropriate work
- Overseeing online and offline marketing activities to maximise awareness of Unboxed, enhance the company’s reputation, and grow our community
- Regularly presenting meaningful information and data to the whole company to engage everyone in effective business development activity
- Ensuring that the company brand and values are represented appropriately and consistently in all sales and marketing materials
- Exploring mutually beneficial relationships with partners, including other agencies, technical providers, start-up founders, or industry influencers
Useful competencies and skills
- Shares our values of openness and transparency, learning by doing, care and attention, continuous improvement and healthier relationships
- Demonstrates leadership in their behaviours and actions, inspiring, supporting and empowering others to grow and deliver results
- Recognises commercial and strategic opportunities and is able to convert them into profitable projects with a positive impact
- Uses data and information from multiple sources to generate insights and influence strategic thinking and actions
- Applies creative thinking to strategy, problem solving, and decision making and inspires this in others
- Works in a highly collaborative way, building strong interpersonal relationships with colleagues and clients alike
- Communicates clearly both verbally and in writing and effectively presents ideas and insights, adapting to suit different audiences
- Understands the principles of lean, agile and user-centred design and how they are applied in different industries
Vicky is our people person. If this role sounds of interest to you, she would love to hear from you, but no recruiters please — we do all our hiring in-house.
Send your CV with a covering letter to Vicky at email@example.com.
If we think you might make a good member of our team, we will have a short call to establish whether there is a potential mutual fit.
Following this is a face-to-face interview with a representative panel from across Unboxed and a brief presentation for you to demonstrate your communication skills and strategic thinking.
We look forward to hearing from you.
"At Unboxed, designers get the opportunity to work across a variety of impactful projects, with different teams and customers. We have a strong culture of trust and collaboration, which provides a great environment for growth and development. "
Martyn Evans, Head of Product