Due to the impact of COVID-19, we’re looking at how we manage recruitment during this time. Planned changes in our design team have now been delayed by a few months. Accordingly, we will have to postpone the hiring process for the Senior Product (UX) Designer role until further notice.
Senior Product (UX) Designer
Salary range: £60k - £70k
We are looking for a London-based Senior Product (UX) Designer with solid experience in facilitating workshops, conducting research, translating findings, prototyping and carrying designs through to visual delivery. You will work as part of multidisciplinary teams to turn designs into digital products that make a meaningful impact in the world.
We're growing Unboxed and we want you to contribute to our company culture. We want to hear about your interests beyond design. We want you to help us add to our community leadership, mentor more junior people and increase our diversity.
Some of the key activities within this role
- Planning and running user research alongside your team to understand user behaviour and identify user needs
- Iteratively designing digital products and services from low-fidelity sketches, through wireframes to high fidelity visual designs
- Collaborating with developers to ensure consistent, high-quality design standards are adopted throughout the service
- Facilitating workshops and design sprints to rapidly design, test, and iterate prototypes
- Mentoring and supporting less experienced team members
- Communicating product design concepts to clients and other stakeholders
- Taking an active interest in the design discipline and regularly share the subject with the broader team and community
Key competencies and skills
- Previous experience in a product design, UX, interaction design or similar role
- A ‘generalist’ mindset with ability to work across design disciplines, ideally a combination of UX design and research, and visual design
- Ability to lead and manage a range of activities from client engagement workshops to prototyping and testing with users
- Proficiency of creating user flows, prototypes, and visual designs
- Strong understanding of usability and user centred design practices
- Passion for emerging technologies and hunger to innovate
- Ability to think strategically to address issues of high uncertainty and complexity
- Ability to communicate the process with stakeholders and other interested parties
- Championing openness, transparency and honest communication
- Willingness to work collaboratively with a cross-functional team
- Willingness to get out and learn from users, customers and stakeholders
- Experience working in Agile project teams, including sprint planning and daily stand-up meetings
- Ability to create coded prototypes with basic knowledge of HTML & CSS
- Experience creating and working with design systems, components, and patterns
- Experience with projects that follow the GDS Service Standard
- Potential to champion the value of design within Unboxed and broader community
Benefits of working with us
- 25 holiday days per year, on top of the bank holiday allowance
- 10 "Innovation Days" per year to explore your own ideas
- Holiday flexibility and loyalty bonus benefits
- Maternity and Shared Parental Leave policies
- A company-wide peer-to-peer mentoring programme
- A generous conference budget
- Salary reviews twice a year
- Flexible working hours and location
- An informal culture of growth
- Monthly "Linkers and Thinkers" idea-exploring lunches
- Weekly reflection at "Whines & Cheers", our Friday company retrospective
- A "Bike To Work" scheme
Send us your CV and portfolio. If we think you will make a good team member, we will arrange to meet with you. Here, we are trying to understand what motivates you and get some initial thoughts on how you might fit within our team.
If we think you will compliment our team, we will invite you into our office to take part in a short whiteboard exercise. This gives us the opportunity to see how you uncover constraints to inform design decisions.
Send us your CV and portfolio
Boris is our person to talk to about design recruitment. If this role sounds of interest to you, he would love to hear from you.
Send your CV and portfolio through to Boris at: firstname.lastname@example.org
From there, he'll be in touch. Good luck!
(sorry — no recruiters please, we do all our hiring in-house)