At Unboxed, design is a team sport
We are a digital service design and development agency with 13 years of experience and an impressive reputation for creating great digital services in both the public and private sectors.
Our delivery approach is strongly based on Agile principles. We work in multidisciplinary teams, collaborating all the way from initial user research and customer engagement through to building fully functioning digital services. We believe in openness, transparency and honest communication, encouraging collaboration and learning from each other. We work closely with our customers, including them as part of our project teams. We create the conditions for our teams to flourish and create better digital services.
Our teams work from our London office or our customer’s locations.
We are looking for a talented and confident Senior Strategic Designer to join us and grow our team. Some of the key activities within this role include:
- Support the delivery of complex service design and development projects
- Work within multi-disciplinary teams to design, prototype and build cutting-edge propositions
- Lead user-centred research and co-design activities
- Facilitate workshops and design sprints to rapidly design, test, and iterate prototypes
- Oversee design iterations from low-fidelity sketches, through wireframes to high fidelity visual designs
- Work with developers to ensure consistent, high-quality design standards are adopted throughout the service
- Provide support and direction to less experienced team members
- Contribute to designing frameworks and approaches for Unboxed
- Collaborate with senior stakeholder groups to successfully influence long-lasting change
- Contribute to new business activity
- Take an active interest in the design discipline and regularly share the subject with the broader team and community
Key competencies and skills
- Experience in several design disciplines, ideally a combination of service design, user experience, and UI design
- Ability to lead and manage a range of activities from customer engagement workshops to ethnographic research, prototyping and testing
- Ability to think strategically to address issues of high uncertainty and complexity
- Ability to communicate the process with stakeholders and other interested parties
- Being a passionate advocate for Design Thinking and Lean and Agile principles
- Willingness to work collaboratively with a cross-functional team
- Willingness to get out and learn from users, customers and stakeholders
- Experience and desire to work on complex projects, involving research, design and facilitation across multiple service areas
- Experience with all stages of Agile development, including sprint planning and daily Scrum meetings
- Experience with projects that follow the GDS Service Standard
- Potential to champion the value of design within Unboxed
- Presence within the broader design community
Benefits of working with us
- 25 holiday days per year, on top of the bank holiday allowance
- 10 Innovation Days per year
- Holiday flexibility and loyalty bonus benefits
- A workplace pension and life assurance policy
- Maternity and Shared Parental Leave policies
- A generous conference budget
- A company-wide peer-to-peer mentoring programme
- Salary reviews twice a year
- An informal, startup culture of growth and flexible working hours
- A “Bike To Work” scheme
- Monthly "Linkers and Thinkers" idea-exploring lunches
- Weekly reflection at "Whines & Cheers", our Friday company retrospective
Send us your CV and, if we think you will make a good team member, we will arrange to meet with you. Here, we are trying to understand what motivates you and get some initial thoughts on how you might fit within our team.
If we think you will compliment our team, we will invite you into our office to collaborate on a short whiteboard exercise. This gives us the opportunity to see how you uncover constraints to inform design decisions.
Send us your CV
Steve is our people person. If this role sounds of interest to you, he would love to hear from you.
Send your CV through to Steve at: email@example.com
From there, he'll be in touch.
Good luck! (Sorry - no recruiters please, we do all our hiring in-house).