Blog / The curious incident of the named scope and the non-existent array

Jolyon Pawlyn
November 23, 2009

Rails performance tuning is often a matter of SQL tuning but we recently stumbled upon code involving a named scope that caused more SQL to run than expected.

We were looking at an SQL trace in New Relic RPM for one of our apps when Nige and myself noticed what appeared to be duplicate SQL. The query was a monster (a monster in this case being a beast of over 20ft in height and over 2 seconds in length) so having it run twice was pretty ruinous even with fragment caching in use. To identify the cause, we used the query reviewer plugin which is fantastic and enables you to see the SQL being run for an individual page request in the browser window. As well as identifying inefficient SQL, it also shows at what point in the code SQL is fired.

The apparent duplicate SQL was running from a partial where there was a products variable set to a named scope. The partial contained:

product = products.first
...
products[1..2].each_with_index do |product, index|
  ...
end

At first glance it looks innocuous as products.first is meant as an alternative to products[0]. If products was an array the two statements would be equivalent but in this example, first is a named scope. It is chained together with the the named scope defined by products and has the affect of adding LIMIT 1 to the executed SQL since products is yet to be populated. When products[1..2] runs, the same SQL is executed without the LIMIT 1.

To ensure that the SQL runs once, we used products[0] instead of products.first. By calling products[0], the named scope is populated and subsequent calls including a call to first does not result in any SQL.