Rethinking the default rails testing conventions
Leo says: “Basically, what I’ve done for the last year or so (only with fewer *_helper.rb files). Testing in isolation doesn’t have to be painful.” http://rhnh.net/2012/12/20/how-i-test-rails-applications
50 favourite Web Development Resources from 2012 (Matt P)
Where Matt P discovers a helpful feature in his obscure editor
“Even after using vim for more than a decade, I still often learn more things about it. Today’s discovery is the command
gf which opens the file under the cursor.”
Discoveries from one person’s investigation of using Ruby’s GC::Profiler: (Matt P)
Conflicting views on preventing fat models (Jolyon in Devs room)
About this Mayan calendar non-sense:
- Where it comes from: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjKUqQ2uSzg
- It seemed that Nostradamus had forseen that a much watched youtube video would be the end of us all, but we’ve just reached 1 billion views today and so we seem safe.
Shenanigans with Ruby and utf8 whitespace characters (MattP)
An Interactive Guide To The Fourier Transform
Pretty and insightful way to explain them, to relive those days of finally thinking you understand something complex (then promptly forgetting again of course) http://betterexplained.com/articles/an-interactive-guide-to-the-fourier-transform/
- The Psychology of Stock Photography
- Interactive Guide to Blog Typography
- The Web we lost. An essay about by Anil Dash about the changing(-ed) face on the Internet.
- The Social Web: End Of The First Cycle. Warren Ellis brain dump on the current state of social media, and where it might be heading in the immediate future.
- A very interesting mixture of photos that will make you laugh and/or cry.
- The Making of Fastbook: An HTML5 Love Story
- A weblog about simple, useful software.
- Your daily dose UI inspiration.
- Future Perfect is an exploration of people, culture and technology.
- Think your pet is the cutest? Prove it!